We can help you conserve energy and save money during this winter heating season.
Energy Saving Tips - Heating
- Check insulation in the attic, walls and floors of your home.
- Add storm windows and doors to create an insulating layer of air between panes.
- Apply weather stripping around doors and windows to keep heat inside.
- Apply caulking compound to seal leaks and cracks around windows and door frames.
- Install a programmable thermostat that adjusts when you are not at home.
- Set heating thermostat on 68 degrees or below for energy savings. Lower to 60 degrees if away for a few days; lower to 55 degrees if away longer. Set thermostat back at night while sleeping.
- Check furnace filter monthly; clean if dirty.
- Open draperies and blinds on sunny days to help heat your home, but close them when the sun isn’t shining to insulate against the cold.
- Close your wood-burning fireplace damper when not in use to keep a draft from drawing heat outside.
- Close all doors between living areas and unheated areas.
- Install thermostat away from where heat or cold can affect its operation.
- Have your heating system checked once a year by qualified service technicians.
Energy Saving Tips - Cooking
- Use a medium or low flame when cooking.
- Match the size of your flame to the size of your pan to prevent wasting gas.
- Clean and/or adjust burner if flame is yellow or orange instead of blue.
- Avoid opening oven door while baking. Instead, use a timer or thermostat to check food.
- Keep burner surfaces clean for more efficient operation.
- Keep burners completely turned off when not in use.
- Never use your oven for heating your home.
- Avoid blocking circulation of heat. Do not place foil in bottom of oven or on oven racks.
Energy Saving Tips - Water Heating
- Keep hot showers as short as possible. On average, a shower uses less water than a bath.
- Set your water heater on 140 degrees if you have a dishwasher, but lower to 120 degrees (low to warm) if not. Use the "vacation" setting when away for long periods of time.
- Install a high efficiency or tank-less gas water heater for added comfort and savings.
- Install low-flow shower heads to decrease your hot water usage.
- Repair leaking faucets to prevent wasting water.
- Insulate hot water pipes and water heater tank to keep heat inside.